Sunday, August 8, 2010

Something was working right yesterday!

Yesterday Nick, Justin and I headed out for a ride. I was planning on doing a 5hr ride and they were looking to do a shorter ride of around 100k. We decided that if I wanted to go faster, I’d speed up and go at my own pace. We headed up the long climb on 30 up to Bloomington and then since the traffic didn’t seem too bad, we continued up 30 right to Zephyr. It was a perfect day, the sun was shining and there was no noticeable wind, for a change. Nick joked that Justin is out good luck charm, whenever he’s out with us, it doesn’t seem to be windy.

After Aurora Side Road, 30 tends to flatten out a bit and I got settled in to a pace of just over 30kph. Each time I got the chance to have a look behind me, the boys were right there and I really wasn’t making much time on them. We made it up the Ravenshoe Shoe Road and I suggested that we turn East and head over to Udora. Nick and Justin could turn from there and head back home. We stopped for a pit stop in Udora, fueled up and headed our separate ways.

I headed back over to Zephyr and turned North, went up and along the bottom of the lake, over to Woodbine and South to Bloomington and back to 30 and south to 16th. I eventually worked my average up to 30kph and in spite of a bit of a wind coming up after 11am, I was riding consistently at 32kph to 36kph on the flats. I don’t know if that’s what made the difference, or if chasing Nick and be pushed by Nick all over the north country has finally made a difference, but I was definitely riding at a different level. I ended up doing 160k at 31kph average.

My good luck continued on my transition run, I ran 12 miles in 1”53, a pace of 9:25 per mile, a great run. I felt great and it was one of those runs that felt like I could have gone all day. Overall, pretty happy with that workout!

1 comment:

Nick Nickolau said...

Dude like I told you, you're cycling top notch. I smell a 6 hour bike split in Louisville.