Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It wasn’t pretty but it had to be done.

I was disappointed in my run at Lake Placid. One reason was that I didn’t get my last long run completed and I just don’t think I had the long run fitness going into the race that I would need to last to the end. So I decided that this weekend I’d go out and get a 20mi run under my belt. Before that, on Saturday Nick and I had a thoroughly enjoyable ride up to Zephyr on a beautiful day. The ride was great until he turned us down Concession 3 for the trip home.

I headed for the run on Sunday after a 2k swim. It was hot and I took my 2 bottle fuel belt with me. Running along 16th, I saw Nick turn out of the neighborhood and start heading in the same direction. I sped up to catch him and finally yelled out at him to let me catch up, we ran together up 10th Line until he reached his turn around point. I continued on to 19th and went west over to 30 and up to Stouffville. I stopped in Stouffville and drank 710ml of water and 710ml of Gatorade, but I was already dehydrated, it was hot. I turned for home and was doing a 9:30/9:40 per mile pace until I hit about 16 and then slowed considerable. I ended up with a 10:00/mi pace overall.


1 comment:

Nick Nickolau said...

That "Billy goat" comment was funny. My nickname which several of my buddies from my mountain biking days still call me by is "goat" because of how I could climb the hilly trails.