Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cathy joins the cause!

Two years ago after traveling to Lake Placid to sign up for the 2009 race we were driving home and had just turned onto our street when we met Cathy Salvo. Cathy saw my bike on the roof of the van and stopped her van in the middle of the road. “Hey, were you guys in Lake Placid?” she shouted out. I got out of the van and had a conversation with her right there in the middle of the road. Turns out that Cathy and Paul had just bought a house on our street and she was an Ironman Canada and Ironman Florida veteran. I couldn’t believe it, finally…another Ironman in the neighborhood!


Cathy will be tackling Ironman Canada on Aug 29, the same day I’ll be taking on Ironman Louisville. Two people on the same street, doing two different Ironman races on the same day. Cathy called me other night and had generously offered her support in my MS fund raising and has sent the follow email to her contacts. This is a very gracious offer and I’m very thankful for such a wonderful friend.

To all my family and friends,

As many of you know, on August 29th 2010 I will be embarking on my fifth journey through Ironman Canada. In years past, I have done the race for myself. A personal test. Ironman teaches you so much about yourself. It teaches you that if you believe in yourself, anything is possible. This year, I have decided to give back to those who are not as fortunate as I to experience something so wonderful - the feeling you get when you cross the finish line after a long day. It is a feeling that cannot be put into words, only felt. For those of you who have accomplished similar goals be it Ironman or a running race or a personal journey, you understand what I mean.

When we moved 2 years ago, we met a family that lived down the street, The MacMillans. We discovered quickly that Chris Macmillan was also an Ironman triathlete. That is how our friendship developed. Training, sharing stories and encouraging each other to keep going. Chris has been raising money to help find a cure for MS the last 4 years. This is a special cause for him as it is close to home.

This year I have joined Chris on his quest to find a cure for MS. To race for all of those that cannot and for his sister Barb. We will both be starting our Ironman races on the same day. Chris will be in Louisville and I will be in Penticton. We will be racing together in spirit. Racing for a cause.

I am reaching out to you, my family and friends for help. Please go to the link below to help Chris and I find a cure for all of those who can’t cross that finish line.

http://msofs.mssociety.ca/2010bike/Sponsor.aspx?PID=1171725&L=2

Thank you for helping us cross that finish line for MS

No comments: