Tuesday, July 13, 2010

PEI, Family, Fun, Food & Hills!

Canada's Newest Ironman Trains in PEI!
We are back from our vacation to the Island and we had an abundance of each! What a great time we all had being together and being able to spend some time some time with family and friends.

I was able to fit in my last long ride, a 180k ride basically around the centre of the Island. Scott, a native Islander and Ironman, (Lake Placid 11:39) had scoped out the route for me and he’s ridden it many times I’m sure. He mentioned that there were some hills that are very close in nature to the hills at Lake Placid, he was right! One thing about PEI, there’s always another hill just up ahead, so it was great training. Scott and I did a great 90k ride together just before we left and he gave me a firsthand demonstration of how he is able to ride those hills like they aren’t even there! It was a great ride and a lot of fun.

So, we are getting very close to Lake Placid, the athlete’s guide was published yesterday and we expect the race numbers to be issued any day now. Over the weekend I trained hard. Saturday was a 2500m swim, 125k bike followed by a 12k run, Sunday was a 3000m swim, 75k bike (with Nick and Justin) and a 8k run. For now the hardest training for Lake Placid is over and the taper starts. I’ll gradually reduce training volume over the next 10 days to rest up and get ready for the race on July 25.

1 comment:

Nick Nickolau said...

Hey buddy you gotta share. You said "Scott and I did a great 90k ride together just before we left and he gave me a firsthand demonstration of how he is able to ride those hills like they aren’t even there!". So ...... what did he show you?