Thursday, August 27, 2009

We're Here!

We arrived safe and sound in Louisville at about 4:30p yesterday. We left the house at 6:15a and had a great drive, no problems with the exception of a couple minutes stopped at a minor accident on 75 just south of Dayton. We checked into the Residence Inn in downtown Louisville and we are really impressed with our suite which includes a full kitchen. After checking in, unpacking and settling in, we headed off for the big Wally to stock up on groceries, we were too tired to cook so we had a great dinner at TGIF’s on 4th Street Live.

I was up early this morning to take advantage of the great breakfast buffet they have here. Make your own waffles, fresh oj and even BACON! After I headed off to the Galt House hotel with Mom where she was volunteering in athlete registration. I was one of the first in line and was weighed in (145.6lbs) given my wristband, designating me as an athlete, signed all the waivers! And was given all the usual stuff, transition bags, helmet and bike numbers, bib numbers, swim cap and another nifty Ironman knapsack.

I took a tour of the expo to check out all the various vendors and then walked back to the hotel. A couple of days ago I noticed a slight wobble in my rear wheel. Every time I walk by my bike I wiggle the top of the wheel to see if it’s still there. I decided it wasn’t going away and I better do something about it. The bike tech area didn’t seem too busy at the expo yet so I grabbed the bike and headed back. I showed them the problem and they assured me that I could race on it, no problem. But they offered to fix it and said it would only take half an hour. It turned out to be an axle adjustment and they did a great job. They are top notch and I can’t even guess how many bikes they will fix over the course of the next couple of days!

It is hot and humid here, I went for a short run this afternoon and was dripping wet when I got back. However, they are calling for a cold wave to come in and Sunday should only be in the 70’s. That will make for great conditions, 30 degrees cooler than the last couple of years. We spent a couple of hours at the mall this afternoon, the Girls have to get some shopping done!

Early to bed tonight and maybe a practice swim in the morning. I’ll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.
Things you (even I) might not know about the Ironman.
They make a lot of money, drink a lot of water, and need a lot of volunteer help. Here are some of the more interesting facts about Ironman Louisville:
• Average yearly HH income for Ironman entrant: $161,000 (ha, ha, ha :) )
• Estimated value of bicycles in transition area: $2.5 million
• 5 men are attempting Ironman Louisville who are ages 70 - 76
• Water - supplied by Louisville Water Company:
Bike Course: 42,240 bottles (24 oz) That's 14 per athlete
Run Course: 37,000 bottles (34 oz) That's 12 per athlete
Finish Line: 9,000 bottles (500ml)
• Police: 825 different police shifts for the race, just in Louisville, not counting Oldham County.
Total Volunteers: 2,900
Including:
1. 60 for body marking 55 in kayaks on swim course
2. 100 other swim monitors
3. 30 assisting with gearbags
4. 60 in changing tents
5. 75 per bike course aid station
6. 30 motorcycle volunteers
7. 100 bike "catchers" in transition area
8. 50 per aid station on run course
9. 100 at finish line
10. 5 vans on the bike course picking up non-finishers

Norton Healthcare Inc. will provide medical services for the Ironman, they will supply over 100 physicians, nurses and other health care professionals to treat injuries and medical emergencies and they have donated over $50,000 in medical supplies to treat an estimated 500 participants during the event. Typical medical conditions treated during the Ironman are dehydration, nausea, exhaustion, vomiting, dizziness, and abdominal and muscle cramping, according to the release. The main medical area will be located inside the Kentucky International Convention Center, 220 S. Fourth St.

HOW ABOUT THAT!

No comments: