Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Taper Time

I did a 6 mile run in the heat yesterday and I really feel that I’ve started to come around in the heat. I was able to maintain a steady 9:30/mile pace and a 145’ish heart rate. How that will translate into a 26.1 mile run after the bike ride in Louisville, only time will tell. Last night I went for a 1:20 bike ride with Nick up to Stouffville and back, it was still hot and we worked out hard on the way up and enjoyed the long downhill all the way back to Markham.

The bike feels great after Coach Rick tuned it up after my long ride on Saturday. Rick replaced the tires and tubes with some fresh rubber, replaced the chain and checked over the bike from top to bottom. I still need to replace my broken Hydro Tail with something. I may wait until I get to Louisville and get an XLAB.

With a little over 10 days until Ironman Louisville there is nothing I can do to make myself any faster and as I’m reminded by Coach Rick, I can mess up my Ironman by training too much during this time, so I am authorized to sit around on the couch...and not feel guilty. I find myself thinking "If I go out and smack myself for 13 more miles I'll be even more ready." No! It’s better to go into an IM 10% under trained than 1% over trained, so I’ll be good and resist the temptation to test my fitness, just one more time! Tonite, maybe an easy swim of 2kms.

No comments: