Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pre-race Saturday

Well it’s one day before race day. I slept in a bit this morning to try to get just a bit more sleep before tonight. The weather is changing and it is forecast to be in the low 70’s tomorrow. That is about 20 degrees lower than usual and should make for perfect conditions for the Ironman. In fact, on Sunday morning it may only be in the low 50’s. I’ll take a sweatshirt for the long wait in the swim line.

Yesterday I went for a 45 minute ride along River Road and back, just to make sure everything is ok on the bike and to keep the legs loose. Later we went to the welcome dinner, afterwards was the athletes meeting and before the dinner I went to a LifeSports seminar at the Kentucky Convention Center. It was very good and I
picked up a lot of good tips for a successful race.

I walked my bike over to the check in just after noon when it opened, It was very well organized with each athlete arriving with their bike is paired up with a volunteer who walks you to your rack, helps get everything set up and makes sure your transition bags get to the right spot. The volunteers are awesome here. As soon they are finished with one athlete, they line back up to help another one.

Our hotel is providing an early Ironman breakfast tomorrow morning with bagels, cereals and bananas, etc. I don’t think I’ve forgotten anything, we’ll see if all of a sudden something comes to mind this afternoon. I’ll spend the rest of the afternoon with my feet up, watching TV. Will go back over to check the bike just before 5pm to make sure the tires survived the afternoon in the heat.

No comments: