Monday, August 17, 2009

A Hot Weekend, Finally

Well hot and humid weather has finally arrived in southern Ontario and not a minute too soon! I really need this kind of weather to acclimatize to the conditions in Louisville. I did a 120k ride on Saturday followed by a 5 mile run. Nick and I left Markham at 10am so I was guaranteed to be in the mid day heat. We rode together up to Zephyr where Nick turned around as his Monaco 70.3 schedule called only for a 3hr ride and I continued on up to Udora and made the turn for home. It was hot. Once home I headed out for a run and ended up doing 5mi at about 9:30/mile pace.

At the end of my ride, about 1km from home I heard something hit the road behind me. I turned around and saw my Beaker Concepts rear carrier lying on the road. It had completely snapped off the back of my seat post. This is an aluminum device that attaches to my seat post and carries two water bottle cages, 2 co2 cartridges and an inflator. I guess that the aluminum developed a rip from all the road vibration and eventually it tore through and down it went. Good thing I was only around the corner from home.

With the forecasted humidex at 40 today, I’ll go for a 6 mile run at noon to really soak up some heat. I’ve also made the dreaded pre race switch to decaf coffee, yikes! I really miss the caffeine already.

No comments: