Monday, August 11, 2008

Thinking of Holmes

I struggled through my last long ride on Saturday with thoughts and memories of Holmes constantly in my mind. It still seems unreal and I sometimes break out in tears just thinking about him. It is the first loss of this kind that we have suffered as a family and I’m sure it’s going to be a long time before we all get back to feeling normal again.

I needed to do a 180k ride, but with a lack of motivation combined with cool weather and having to ride in the rain for 2 hours did me in. I packed it in and headed for home after 140k. I didn’t do a brick run afterwards. Just wanted to lie on the couch and watch the Olympics with K&E. Last week I put on a new set of tires for the IM, Michelin Pro Race3’s, on Saturday I had 2 flats. I rode over 3000km’s this year on Verderstein tires and never had a flat. I may out them back on for the race. Not sure about those Michelins.

Sunday was the last day to run long…so I did a 16 miler. Again the weather was cool and rainy and I got wet again. I had planned to do a 4000m swim earlier on Sunday morning, but ended up doing only 1500m. The pool was crowded and I wasn’t swimming very well so instead struggling through it, I threw in the towel.

Well the good news is that the hard training is over and the taper starts today. Basically we have 2 more weeks here before we head off to Louisville for the week before the race.

2 comments:

Dr. Joseph Mac Millan said...

Chris our prayers are with you for good tires, good road, good water and safe run. That is just what Tim would have said. Doc

Dr. Joseph Mac Millan said...

Chris our prayers are with you for good tires, good road, good water and safe run. You're right,that's just what Tim would have said. Doc