Sunday, September 5, 2010

One week after

So it’s been a week since Ironman Louisville and I’ve been spending my time eating anything I want and resting. I’ve unpacked everything from Louisville and most of it is sitting in a pile on the basement floor. Every time I’m down there I put a couple of things away and it is slowly getting smaller.

We got together with Paul and Cathy and the kids for a post race ice cream celebration at Dairy Queen the other night and it was great to get a chance to talk to Cathy about her great race. She set a personal best at Ironman Canada by over 20 minutes and passed 134 people on her way to an excellent marathon split. And I got a chance to talk to Paul and hear his thoughts on signing up for IMC next year. I joked with Paul that while training for an IM, he’ll have to slow down a bit when he cycling to be able to run afterwords and that now I might have a chance of keeping up with him.


I’ve read a lot of race reports on various Internet sites of people that completed, or didn’t complete the race. The more I read, the more pleased, maybe satisfied is a better term, I am with my finish. Although I was initially disappointed, I realize that under those conditions, any finish is a victory. Out of 2400 starters there were 488 that didn’t finish and over 1000 that passed through the medical tent at some point during the day. I managed to keep myself out of both of those categories at least.

My results...
Swim time of 1:21:25 placed 57th out of 115
Bike time of 5:57:20 placed 20th out of 115
Run time of 5:50:44 placed 66th out of 115
Total Time 13:23:12 placed 38th out of 115

What it all tells me is that if I could have run in the neighborhood of how I did last year, I could have finished close to the 12 hour mark.


1 comment:

Nick Nickolau said...

I saw it right away buddy, it just took you a little longer. 13:23 was an excellent time in those conditions. Congrats again.