Friday, July 17, 2009

Last Weekend of Training for LP

At the moment, I'm eerily calm about the quickly approaching Ironman Lake Placid date. Exactly 8 days, 14 hours, 5 minutes and 20 seconds away as I type this. I don’t feel fully prepared for this time out, mostly due to the fact that my running is not where it needs to be to tackle what is referred to as the ‘beast of the east’. However, as Coach Rick pointed out today, this is a long training day for Louisville.

So my attitude is that I’ll take the day as it comes and go easy, no hammering on the bike. This will be a new experience for me, I’ve never been in a mass swim start, the hills are big and long and it will be a very tough 2nd loop of the run course due to my knee. The good news is I’m sure I’ll have lots of company. I recently read a posting by a coach that stated that if you can maintain a 12 minute per mile pace in the second half of the marathon, you’ll be a hero in LP. That will be me.

I’ve been resting my knee and have only bike one hour this week. I’ve been a regular at the Stouffville pool this week and have swum almost every night, 7,500 meters so far this week, just trying to stay loose. This weekend calls for a 2 hour bike/1 hour run tomorrow and a 3k to 4k swim and 1 hour run on Sunday.

No comments: