Friday, July 24, 2009

Ironman USA...here we come!!

We arrived yesterday, safe and sound in Lake Placid. Tim and Alex met us at the border and we drove down together. We were in a line of cars with bikes on the roof at the border. The guard, asked us a couple of questions and then said, 'and you're going to LP for the IM, right?' yes sir! We stopped in Plattsburg and loaded up on groceries, bagels and bananas for me and snacks for the G's. We checked into the Adirondack Holiday Lodge, it's about half full tonite and will be full by tomorrow.

There was still time to just make it into LP and get registered before 4pm so we headed off for the high school. I figured get, get it done today and I won't have to worry about it tomorrow. It was busy, but not as busy as it'll be tomorrow. Everything went very smoothly, they really have it down here having done it so many times before. The volunteers are awesome. Tim and Alex got settled in at their campsite and then came and met us at the transition area, we walked over to Mirror Lake for a look. There were quite a few people in the water and they all said it was cold! It's in the mid 60's.

We were hungry so we went to have a pizza fest at little place on the main drag. We grabbed a coffee and then went to one of the bike shops for a look around. They were really busy, open 24 hours for the IM and the place was packed, they even had a tent set up for the overflow of work. They had a giant screen showing the Tour de France and lot's of stuff on sale. I met a guy I know from home that I haven't seen for a while so it was great to catch up with him. He's doing the race too.

On the schedule for tomorrow...go for a swim in the morning, Gatorade is giving away lot's of swag so we go down and I'll swim for 20 minutes and get a feel for the water and will do a bike ride of 30 mins or so, just to make sure everything is ok and we'll go to the welcome dinner at the horse show grounds and to the athlete's meeting which is right after at the same place. I'll hook up with Rick (my coach) and talk over a few last minute things, he's in the race as well as having 6 athletes here.

The weather is cloudy, rainy and humid. I fully expect to get rained on several times on Sunday, but I and determined not to get too cold! My knee/hamstring thing is still there. I've been wearing the support on it and haven't been stretching it at all, hard to say how it will be on Sunday, but I don't expect to be able to run on it for the entire way. I'm formulating some different strategies in my head on how to best manage it on the run, but most at this point include large doses of extra strength 8 hour Tylenol.!

I weighed in at medical and here's my stat's...I didn't bring my card from Louisville, so other than body fat I'm not sure how the rest stack up.

Weight 146.9 (normal, a few pounds heavier than when in training)
Body Fat 6.4% (higher than last year's 5.4%, I haven't been as diligent about my diet as I should be)
Water % 61.2% (good, normal is 45% to 60%, pre Ironman 60% plus is good)
Muscle Mass130.6 lbs (pounds of muscle and tendons etc,lean mass)
Bone Mass 6.8 lbs (pounds of bones, could be higher, need more weight lifting next winter)
Physique Rating 8 (out of 9, ratio of body fat to muscle mass)
Metabolic Age 12 (age my body is rated at based on my BMR)
Visceral Fat 4 (measurement of abdominal area fat out of 59)

No comments: