Monday, June 8, 2009

Weekend Workout, First Long Brick

The forecast for Saturday was sunny and warm, with temperatures around 23. The forecast was bang on and it made for a great long brick day. I did a 160k bike followed immediately by a 5 mile run. I still bike in kilometers and run in miles, I find it a lot easier to gauge my speed in kilometers and I’m so used to seeing my speed in those numbers. I tried switching my bike computer over to miles but I just couldn’t get used to it. Running on the other hand make more sense to me in miles. The Ironman courses area all marked in miles, usually by an aid station, and I find it very easy to measure my pace when I’m looking at it in miles. It’s just 26 8 to 10 minute (hopefully) one mile intervals!

I was careful to weigh myself accurately before heading out on Saturday morning. Using two different scales, I was somewhere between 144.5 to 145lbs. As this was my first long brick I wanted to start paying attention to how much I drank and ate and start to dial in my nutritional requirements before the Ironmans arrive. I drank 3 bottles of water, 2 bottles of Gatorade and ate 3 power bars and 4 shots of honey, giving me approximately 400 calories per hour. Everything went down without issue and it felt like enough and not too much. I really like to get some solid food in during the first half of the bike before switching over to liquids and gels only; I think it makes a difference later in the day. When I was finally finished up and home, the plan was to weigh myself again and see how, see how much weight I lost. This would tell me how much more fluids I should have consumed.

Yeah…I forgot to weigh myself. Oh boy. It’ll have to wait until next time.

No comments: