Tuesday, August 7, 2007

It’s all over but the crying!!

Well that’s it folks…for the hard training at least. I completed my final week of hard training on Sunday and it’s taper time from now to race day on the 26th. Last week was a 20 hour week ending with a 180k ride on Saturday and a 32k un on Sunday. It felt really good to get that run in, a real confidence booster for IM Lou. I switched my Garmin over to miles and jut concentrated on getting from one mile to the next, imaging what it will be like on the 26th. Aid stations are spaced approximately every mile at the IM and a common strategy is to view the whole thing as 26 one mile repeats and do your best to keep running from one station to the next.

Training volume is reduced by 30% this week and another 30% next week to allow the body to fully recover from and adapt to the training. Often people feel over tired and lethargic during this period, I know I sure do today Wanted to watch the 2006 IM on NBC on Sunday for some inspiration, and only got to see the last half hour, it was advertised to start at 4:00 and actually started at 2:30pm, dang!

The Athlete’s Guide was released on the Internet on Friday and I am now finding myself thinking about all the logistics of the event, special needs bags, pre-race breakfast, nutrition/hydration strategies, course details, final bike set-up, etc., etc. Checklists are great for keeping track of all the details, I’ve got lots!

1 comment:

martinh said...

Dear Buddy, I look at the pain and effort that you have gone to, over the past months, and see how easy my life is, by comparison. I really hope that all your hard effort will pay off....my thoughts will be with you, even if I will not.
Very best wishes,
Martin + Carole + Michael in Stuttgart