Monday, June 9, 2008

The First Hot & Humid Weekend

Well we finally got it, a hot and humid weekend and I made the best of it. Anytime I can get out and bike and run in conditions similar to Louisville, I’m out there. There’s just no way to get used to working out in that environment, other than finding a sauna to work out in. I got the bike all loaded up with water/Gatorade/gels and spares and headed out on Saturday morning. I biked up to Beaverton and back. I managed to average just under 30kph for the trip up to Beaverton, but the wind took its toll on me and I was pushed back to 28kph for the trip average speed. Plus I’m sure the first exposure to the heat and humidity slowed me a bit.

I had a bad case of the drops on Saturday. To start off, I launched a bottle of Gatorade out of it’s cage going over the railway tracks just by the Granite Golf Club on Durham 30. I was only riding for 45 minutes, so I was going to need that bottle, so I had to stop and pick it up. Then about 30 minutes later, I was on a fast downhill just before Aurora Road. I was going about 55kph and I hit a hole that wasn’t there last week. Again I lost a Gatorade, but I wasn’t stopping that time. Five minutes later I looked down to see that I had lost my Garmin 305 out of it’s mount. Great, it could of fallen off anywhere over the last mile or so. I took a good look for it on the way back, but there was no sign of it.

No comments: